See Additional Resources:
Interlibrary Loan (of materials from Other Libraries) Guidelines & Policies
The Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States defines Interlibrary Loan (ILL) as "the process by which a library requests material from, or supplies material to, another library." Interlibrary loan (as defined by this code) is to obtain material for users that are not available in the user's local library and at Austin Community College the ILL process is provided for ACC curriculum design and assignment research and information for current ACC students, faculty and staff.
Opportunities and restrictions for ILL resources and services — based on ACC resources and staffing levels includes:Opportunities
- ACC reference librarians at library reference desks or through phone, email, or chat reference services may refer valid ACC users to complete an ACC Interlibrary Loan request form.
- ACC Interlibrary Loan users request ILL by completing an online form and submitting it through email. ACC Library Services staff will – as needed – follow up with users to verify information.
- ILL service can take from three to eight weeks but some requests are available in as few as two weeks.
- ACC will not request materials that ACC libraries own. Users should check the Library Catalog or our electronic resources for materials prior to requesting ILL services.
- Materials not usually available for interlibrary loan include current periodicals and bound periodical volumes, newspapers, manuscripts, reference works, textbooks, genealogical and local history materials, audiovisual materials, theses, dissertations, microforms, equipment and hardware and software.
- Materials available locally are NOT requested through ACC ILL. Requesters of locally-owned materials are referred to reference librarians for assistance in identifying local materials and assisting requesters to obtain TexShare Cards when appropriate.
- ACC ILL requests are reserved for curriculum design and assignment research and information materials. Users with requests for materials for non-ACC curriculum design and assignment research and information or with recreational or personal information or research requests are referred to reference librarians for referrals to local public libraries or appropriate academic libraries for their ILL services.*