Library Laptops Overview
The laptops were purchased to promote information literacy efforts and to increase library access points by circulating wireless laptops to ACC students and staff for in-library use only. When laptops are not being used for instruction by faculty librarians, they can be borrowed from the library Checkout Desks.
- All ACC Campus Libraries have laptops.
- Those that do not circulate to library users are given the status of "Not Available" in the catalog.
- The circulating laptops operate via a wireless network; print to a designated printer on that network; and have restrictions on them similar to the desktop PCs in the Computer Centers.
- Microsoft Office is the only software loaded beyond software necessary to access the Internet and view and hear web information, e.g., Adobe Acrobat Reader, QuickTime.
- Users are unable to install their own programs on the laptops.
- Users can save files only to My Documents or a USB flash drive.
- Laptops circulate in a similar fashion to Reserve items, for 3 hours with no renewal. (See the document Borrowing Wireless Laptops at the Library.)
- The users will be provided with a copy of the Laptop Guidelines and must sign a Laptop Agreement the first time they check one out.
- Users are responsible for loss, damage, and for self-support for technical and software issues with the laptops.